History of the Journal
Zapiski Historyczne (English: Historical Records) is one of the oldest Polish historical journals. Ever since its inception in 1908 it has been published by the Society of Arts and Sciences in Toruń (Polish: Towarzystwo Naukowe w Toruniu), one of the most important Polish scientific and scholarly organizations in the territory of the Prussian partition. Initially, up until 1955, the title of the journal was Zapiski Towarzystwa Naukowego w Toruniu (English: Historical Records of the Society of Arts and Sciences in Toruń). Along with the change of the title came the change of the scholarly profile – from being a local periodical Zapiski Historyczne turned into a relevant scholarly journal with an increasingly wide international acclaim. This is mainly attributed to the activity of professor Marian Biskup, who was the editor of Zapiski Historyczne from 1958 to 2003. It was during this period that authors from all major Polish academic centres, and also increasingly more foreign authors, most notably from Germany and Scandinavia, started to publish in Zapiski. Since the 1960s, the journal has also been publishing texts by authors from the Baltic countries: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, then Soviet republics, as well as from Russia. This enabled the dissemination of their achievements on an international level.
Since 1958 (in print since 1961) Zapiski Historyczne has been annually supplemented by the Bibliography of the History of Eastern and Western Pomerania (since 1970 as the Bibliography of the History of Eastern and Western Pomerania and the Countries of the Baltic Region), prepared by Henryk Baranowski, Urszula Zaborska and Adam Biedrzycki.
At present, the Society of Arts and Sciences in Toruń publishes the journal in partnership with the Faculty of History of Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń.
Zapiski Historyczne ISSN 0044-1791
Zapiski Historyczne on-line ISSN 2449-8637